Reflection on Global Scholars Grant Proposal Event

This past Monday, I had the amazing opportunity to present a grant proposal on behalf of Reading Partners, a national literacy nonprofit with which I have worked throughout high school, to a panel of judges connected to the Poly and Pasadena community. My grant proposal, which I described in a recent blog post, sought to expand the selection of books in Los Angeles Reading Partners libraries that center on global narratives or stories with a diverse cast of characters. Mine was one of two fully funded projects for groups from Poly; alongside those two projects were also two groups from Partnership for Success! that received a grant that fulfilled their request completely. One other Poly group was partially funded, and the remaining groups’ organizations received donations.


I received $1900, the lion’s share of which will go to purchasing collections of books from Lee and Low Publishing, a company with values congruous to the ones associated with my grant proposal: pushing for representation, providing a platform for narratives, authors and illustrators of color, and striving for equity in education. In the coming weeks, I will make that purchase in conjunction with Reading Partners Los Angeles and assist in the organization and distribution of the books to the fourteen Reading Centers in the area. I want to thank the panelists for their commitment to providing support for the visions of the students that presented and their willingness to share their time with us. I am looking forward to actualizing the plan I drafted months ago, and I am humbled by my ability to give back, to whatever degree, to the city, community and organization from which I have benefitted so greatly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Immigration and the Folly of Isolationism

Global Scholars Application Essay

Reflection on Final Grant Proposal Presentation to '21 Global Scholars Cohort and Others